Agriculture October 08, 2021
Wimmera tech named John Deere Ag and Turf Service Technician of the Year
Crestmead, Queensland (8 October 2021) – Horsham's Josh Carter has been named the Australian Ag and Turf Service Technician of the Year at the inaugural John Deere Technician Awards held at John Deere's Brisbane headquarters on Friday.
The dual-tradesman and father-of-two, who has worked for Emmetts in the Wimmera region for 15 years, rose to the top of a competitive field of 110 nominations of construction, forestry and agriculture technicians from across Australia and New Zealand to take out the coveted new title.
"I am humbled by the win as it is very rewarding to be recognised in this way," Josh said.
"Technicians work hard each day to do the best job we can for our customers, so even being named among the finalists meant a lot to me. The effort and dedication we all put into the job every day was acknowledged through these awards, which was wonderful to see.
"I think all the technicians who were nominated by their dealership should feel incredibly proud of their achievements, it's clear these people are highly regarded in their roles."
Other winners of the inaugural John Deere Technician Awards included Construction & Forestry Service Technician of the Year, Brendan Wilkinson, RDO Equipment, Derrimut, Parts Technician of the Year, Troy McMahon, RDO Equipment, Launceston, Service Apprentice of the Year, Mackenzie Riddle, Hutcheon and Pearce, Temora, and Parts Apprentice of the Year, Caleb Dover, Midland Tractors, Latrobe.
The Awards were established in 2021 to champion the skill and dedication of the high-performing techs who not only provide vital backup support to customers, but also help to ensure operators achieve best possible performance from their machinery.
Technicians were nominated by their dealerships, with input from customers, and were judged on their mechanical and technical expertise, as well as their previous accomplishments in the field or on the job.
For Josh, whose day-to-day work is predominantly spent supporting broadacre farmers running multiple machines across the Wimmera region, the best part of his job is forming long-term relationships with customers and contributing to their business's productivity.
"We work really hard to ensure our customers and their machines are well supported, and, seeing them up and running efficiently is one of the most rewarding parts of what we do," Josh said.
"As a tech, there is never a shortage of something new to learn as the machinery and technology is continuously improving and evolving. That's what has kept me interested in the job, I have become passionate about the technology, and enjoy upskilling myself to keep improving."
John Deere Australia and New Zealand Managing Director, Luke Chandler, congratulated Josh on his outstanding achievement.
"Josh's extensive technical expertise and true passion for his work made him a clear standout to the panel of judges," Mr Chandler said.
"Although a qualified technician with years of experience under his belt, Josh hasn't rested on his laurels and has continued to expand his own knowledge, including gaining a second trade as an auto electrician, to better service farmers within his region.
"His effort embodies the exciting role of a tech, which is ever evolving as the agriculture, construction and forestry industries increase their adoption of sophisticated and highly efficient machinery."
Mr Chandler congratulated all the technicians involved in the awards given the high calibre of nominations.
"All the winners, finalist and nominees should feel incredibly proud of their achievement," Mr Chandler said.
"A common theme I noticed across these remarkable men and women was their passion for mentoring and supporting the next generation of technicians who are entering the industry.
"John Deere has a long-term commitment to the Australian agriculture, construction and forestry industries and we foresee future demand for technicians increasing across rural and regional communities, as we know technology is key to unlocking greater productivity and sustainability outcomes for these important sectors."
Complete list of John Deere Technician Award finalists
Ag & Turf Service Technicians
- Josh Carter, Emmetts, Horsham, Victoria (WINNER)
- Jaymee Ireland, Emmetts, Roseworthy, South Australia (FINALIST)
- Henry Finlay, Vanderfield, Dalby, Queensland (FINALIST)
- Damian Voss, Wickham Flower, Naracoorte, South Australia (FINALIST)
- Justin Solomon, Vanderfield, Inverell, NSW (FINALIST)
Contruction & Forestry Service Technicians
- Brendan Wilkinson, RDO Equipment, Derrimut, Victoria (WINNER)
- Shane Powick, RDO Equipment, Eastern Creek, Sydney, New South Wales (FINALIST)
- Scott Jackson, RDO Equipment, Richlands, Queensland (FINALIST)
- Mat Turner, AFGRI Equipment, South Guildford, Western Australia (FINALIST)
- Troy McMahon, RDO Equipment, Launceston, Tasmania (WINNER)
- Andrew Guthrie, Hutcheon & Pearce, Albury, New South Wales (FINALIST)
- Luke McGahan, Vanderfield/RDO Equipment, Toowoomba, Queensland (FINALIST)
- Will Slee, Emmetts, Renmark, South Australia (FINALIST)
Service Apprentice of the Year: Australia and New Zealand
- Mackenzie Riddle, Hutcheon & Pearce, Temora, New South Wales (WINNER)
- Harry Vaughan, Vanderfield/RDO Equipment, Toowoomba, Queensland (FINALIST)
- Joel Maclachlan, AFGRI Equipment, Geraldton, Western Australia (FINALIST)
- Tom Beveridge, Haeusler’s Group, Echuca, Victoria (FINALIST)
Parts Apprentice of the Year: Australia and New Zealand
- Caleb Dover, Midland Tractors, Latrobe, Tasmania (WINNER)
- Callum Campbell, Hutcheon & Pearce, Finley, New South Wales (FINALISTS)
About Deere & Company:
Deere & Company (NYSE: DE) is a world leader in providing advanced products and services and is committed to the success of customers whose work is linked to the land - those who cultivate, harvest, transform, enrich and build upon the land to meet the world's dramatically increasing need for food, fuel, shelter and infrastructure. Since 1837, John Deere has delivered innovative products of superior quality built on a tradition of integrity. For more information, visit John Deere at its worldwide website at JohnDeere.com or in Australia at JohnDeere.com.au.